Memphis & Shelby County Lead Safe Collaborative
Get the lead out Memphis
The Memphis & Shelby County Lead Safe Collaborative Is A Non-Profit Community-Based Organization Seeking To End Lead Poisoning In Memphis. The Collaborative Was Formed In 2008 Under Guidance From The United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Environmental Justice After Eight Years Of Sounding The Alarm On Lead And Working To Raise Awareness Of How Widespread Lead Poisoning Is In Memphis, TN and The Need For More Action.
To Affect Measurable Reduction In Lead Exposure.
To See An End To Lead Poisoning In Memphis.
Website Table of Contents
1. YouTube video discussing Dr. Herenton and Robert Lipscomb role in bringing lead awareness to Memphis.
2. Appreciative Inquiry (AI) – EPA discusses the AI process used in Memphis in a presentation in Chicago. Orange Mound was one of the community’s lead was addressed.
3. MSCLSC partners with Green & Healthy Homes initiative (GHHI) -Training community members to be Master Home Environmentalist and perform various types of inspections in homes of our most needed citizens.
Shelby County Health Department Charts on Lead Poisoning.
1. Informed & Not informed of being poisoned.
2. Percentage testing positive
1. Poisoned water – video from University of Cincinnati on brain damage.
2. Findings from long term lead study at University of Cincinnati.
3. Toxic Neglect – The weight of lead – study on Cleveland Ohio involving School system and teachers’ union.
4. AT WAR
1. Civil Rights leaders – concern on exposure to babies
2. Roger Masters – Fluoride used in inner cities not tested for safety, synergistic with lead.
3. Types of fluoride used in Shelby County.
4. Papers from Mayor Loeb requiring city council to install 4 non-fluoridated fountains in White communities.
5. Lots of studies – concerning fluoride on brain damage, relationship to crime and other health issues
1. From paint, dust, soil, and water.
3. Renovation, Restoration & Painting (RRP) – It’s the Law
1. What is IDEA – Individual with disabilities Act
2. Who is eligible? (Lead Poisoning Qualifies)
3. Key – article On Cleveland Ohio School system concerning Lead poisoning and its effect.
1. Life expectancy – key areas have shorter life expectancy.
2. Video on lead poisoning awareness. (Chet Sr.)
3. State Senator more testing – channel 13 -articles.
4. Shows speaking to MLGW board explaining Chronic lead poisoning & Fluoride concerns
5. School lead testing results – Memphis
6. Lead signs in community cause concern
2. Locate lead lines – over 38,000
The symbol was created to bring awareness to areas that expose citizens to lead paint.